Things I liked:
- Death was a cool and badass character and his development was better that War's.
- The combat was more refined from the previous part. Fast, fluid, responsive and fun.
- Liked the abilities upgrade and the fact that you can remove it all and do it again for experimentation, for a small fee. I eventually stayed with the necromancer side. Summoning minions and crows just felt really good and suited my gameplay style.
- RPG elements in the game made for a nice addition. NPCs dialogue wheel, side quests and tons of customization for character stats.
- The pacing of the game was far better than the last part.
- The opening of the game was great.
- Many of the boss fights were pretty good and varied a bit.
- The HUGE ASS guardian boss fight at the end of the first area/act, similar to those from Shadow of the colossus, was simply AMAZING.
- Jesper Kyd's soundtrack was beautiful and the soundtrack as whole was a huge improvement from the previous part.
- The art style of the characters and the environments was great, made the game look pretty good as a whole even though the texture resolution was pretty low.
Things I didn't like:
- The story got bogged down as the game progressed and ended poorly, making it less enjoyable as a whole as compared to the first part.
- The final boss fight was too easy and disappointing.
- While the pacing was better, it still wasn't that good. The middle part of the game dragged on a lot. The errand boy nature of the story progression was used way too much.
- There were too many easy dungeons and puzzles that it became a bore as almost every quest included them.
- While the soundtrack was great, the most epic pieces were only used once throughout the game, I mean what the hell, why not use it more.
In conclusion, I had a great time with the game thanks to a great protagonist, improvement in combat and addition of RPG elements. The story could have been a lot better though.
I really hope they make Darksiders 3.